Saturday 24 September 2011

...and thy name is Typhoon

This weekend I was supposed to be climbing a mountain. The very same mountain that had almost gotten me killed several weeks ago. It’s name is Mount Chōkai, but that is irrelevant. It is the highest mountain in the prefecture and right now, it is my Matterhorn.

Unfortunately, due to the recent Typhoon, the climb was called off, to be rescheduled for next month. I say unfortunately, but really... it was a blessing in disguise. I have been short on sleep recently for reasons that I most certainly will not go into here and a weekend spent trudging my way through wind and rain up a mountain pass may not have been the best prescription. So my action packed “Autumnal Equinox” national holiday was now left decidedly devoid of distractions and diversions. What this means for you lovely people is that you get a couple of blog updates, complete with alluring, amusing (an let’s accept it, asinine) alliteration! And additional assonance!


The other good thing about the typhoon (aside from making me quite smug about not living in Kobe, where no man not chained to something with foundations is safe) is that it’s brought about a sudden, serious and splendid shift in weather. Those of you who have seen me in Asian summers will know that this next sentence is no exaggeration. I have friends here who until last Tuesday had never seen me without an (un)healthy sheen of sweat on my skin. Their surprise was less than flattering, but the change was definitely agreeable to all parties.

Worried whether the weather was to revert next week, I checked the forecast and was so happy with what I saw that I took this screenshot.






Discovery of this divination did indeed make my day.

Okay, I’ll stop now.

But yeah, I’m rested up and have some words in my head. Time to try to type them.




Sorry, couldn’t resist.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you're on about. This 28 degree sh*t has got to stop! I've been going through t-shirts like superman on valentines day, roll on winter! But hey, at least I'm not you! I mean, aside from the crazy asian heat over there, we all know what happens the Irish Spider-boy when the sweat starts rollin'! Damn, I'd say there are people in Okinawa who pray to the deodorant gods for cloud cover in Yamagata! I bet there's Itamae down your street who lost half their stock when you stretched in the morning! There's sinus-congested walruses who... wait, friends of yours over there don't read this blog do they? Woops... Ahem, Colin Is A Very Hygienic And Pleasantly Fragranced Person. He In No Way Causes Discomfort To Others Via Their Olfactory Cortex. Now Let Him Get Some Sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a time when fraternity meant more than drinking beer and getting arrested together...

    ReplyDelete